KSMU Radio and Ozarks Public Television (OPT) are committed to celebrating the diversity of the Ozarks. This diversity takes many forms, including gender, race, culture, religion, and language. We encourage thoughtful community dialogue on a variety of topics through news features, profiles of Ozarks residents and interviews with individuals of diverse backgrounds and unique perspectives.
- Two popular station projects focus on ethnic diversity. The KSMU Radio series Around the World, Here at Home and OPT’s Small World ? Big Picture Profiles feature Ozarks’ residents of diverse backgrounds, telling their stories.
- We are also proud to be a part of the Women & Girls Lead Initiative which encourages girls and women to develop their potential as community leaders.
- In partnership with the Missouri State University Religious Studies Department, KSMU Radio has established a Religious Studies/Reporting Internship. This intern reports on topics related to the religious diversity of the Ozarks.
- OPT is currently developing a series of locally-produced instructional language programs. The first series, focused on Conversational Chinese, debuts in the fall of 2014.
- OPT and KSMU also regularly broadcast special programming that celebrates the diversity of our nation and our world. These national programs are made available by NPR, PRI, APM, PBS, NETA, APT and more.
As part of Missouri State University, we fully embrace the University’s diversity initiatives. The University staff, faculty, governance and student body reflect rich diversity. The Division of Diversity and Inclusion exists to promote, achieve, advance and sustain Missouri State University’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion by enhancing employee capabilities and competencies through diversity research, professional development, collaboration, and integrative activities and practices. The vision of this unit is to be valued and recognized by university and community stakeholders for the development and delivery of strategic programs and resources that institutionalizes means to meet individual, unit and organizational needs for diversity enhancement, education and outcomes.