OPT History

The channel for educational television for the Ozarks area was reserved in the early 1950's by the Federal Communications Commission. In 1973 a study committee was appointed by the Springfield Chamber of Commerce to study the feasibility of a public television station for the Ozarks. A $15,000 seed grant provided the Community Service League of Springfield (which later became the Junior League) funding for initial efforts to establish the station. Upon recommendation of the committee, a not-for-profit organization, Springfield Community Television, Inc. Master Control

A generous Capital Founders gift enabled KOZK to qualify for an educational facilities grant from the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare. This Capital Founders gift was given by John Q. Hammons, a nationally known developer, financier, and business executive. Mr. Hammons, a Springfield resident and native of Southwest Missouri, has long been interested in education.

Transmission facilities are located near Fordland, Missouri on a site donated to the University by KYTV in Springfield.

In 2001 the Board of Governors of Missouri State University approved the recommendation that Ozarks Public Television become a licensee of the university and relocate facilities to the Missouri State University campus.

The facilities include a state-of-the-art Master Control room, production studios, editing rooms, and staff offices.